The cruise control system is to be scrapped at the Riviera Royal Caribbean after the company was criticised for its poor record on the safety of cruise ships in the Atlantic.
The system was scrapped at Vivid Seaport in New York last month, as it faced mounting pressure to change its safety record following the deaths of a cruise captain and a crew member at a Carnival cruise ship last month.
Cruise ships are used by some of the world’s most powerful cruise lines and are often used to bring people on holiday, such as the Queen Mary and the Royal Caribbean.
Vivid Seacrest in New Mexico was one of the biggest cruise ship operators in the world and operated in the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean for nearly 50 years before closing down in 2008.
Since then, it has been run by Cruise Control, which also runs the Royal Bahamas and the Caribbean.
It was not immediately clear what impact the new system would have on the company.
However, the Royal Bahama Group, which owns Vivid, said the new fleet would not be used as a “captain’s cabin” at any time.
“The new fleet is to have a fully operational, fully staffed, fully secure and equipped control center,” the group said in a statement.
A new cruise control service will be launched on Thursday, according to the group, but the system is expected to be completely scrapped by the end of next year.
The new cruise controls system is set to be rolled out in the next few weeks, said a company spokesperson, who declined to be named.
It is not known when the new service will launch.
Despite the recent loss of its safety records, cruise lines continue to operate in the US and UK.
In April, a US court ruled that the Cruise Line US subsidiary should be allowed to operate its cruise ship, the Celebrity Princess, on US waters.
On Wednesday, Carnival said it had made a deal to buy the Queen Elizabeth II from its parent company, the Carnival Cruises International Corp. for $5.2 billion (£3.9 billion).